Today I am sharing our nightly routine with the kiddos! Here it goes!
1. DINNER! Around 6 (sometimes closer to 7 in the summer!) we feed the kids dinner. We always have Atticus in his high chair and give him food and let him feed himself. He will usually eat… 30% of what we give him if we are lucky! Sometimes he doesn’t touch his food, that little stinker. I did take your guys’ advice and we try to give him things to dip his food in like ranch or peanut butter or whatever it is and that has worked pretty good so thank you! Sometimes his dinner is all cute like this and other nights I am too tired and dealt with too many tantrums so I throw a big scoop of mac n cheese, hand him a fork and say go to town my dear! Rosie is easier as far as feeding goes and will eat anything you give her. We either put her in the high chair and give her sweet potatoes or something or we just spoon feed her pureed food. During dinner we try to clean up the nursery as much as possible so we don’t wake up to a messy room or stab our foot with legos when we check on him in the middle of the night.
2. BATH + BRUSH TEETH! After dinner we go straight to the bath. Both babies love bath time so we stay in here for a while and play and let them splash around. Occasionally Rosie poops in the bath and we all have to evacuate and go take a shower lol. We have Atticus brush his teeth in the bath just because it’s easier and it is usually a slobbery affair. We bought a lil mini electric tooth brush for him because he thinks it’s the coolest and it’s the only way he will do it.
3. PAJAMAS + BRUSH HAIR + LOTION! We take the kids straight from the bath into our room where we have towels and everything laid out. I have the kiddos in these little two piece sets but most nights I put them in these zip up onesies that are so easy. I have told you guys before how the kids have really dry skin Rosie’s isn’t as bad as Atticus but he has eczema and gets these little dry patches all over his shoulders and back. Aveeno sent me a supply of their new eczema therapy nighttime balm (it’ll be available at Target later this month!) so I’ve been using that on his arms and back. I love it because it’s thicker than a cream and helps him sleep through the night without waking up from itching. Especially with all of the splash pads in the summer, Atticus is so dry it makes me sad! (I actually also use this on my dry spots!)
4. READING TIME! We try to always read books before bed, Atticus has a few he loves and just likes to read over and over and over again. His current favorite is, “It’s Time to Sleep, My Love” which is a really cute book and I love the illustrations. He mostly loves the tiger in it 😉
5. SONG + PRAYER + FAVORITES! Every night we sing the same song to the kids (it’s, I am a Child of God) and then we say a prayer right after. This is maybe my favorite part because Atticus knows when we finish the song to fold his arms and I love watching him fold his arms and close his eyes while peeking out to make sure everyone else is doing the same. Then he whispers a prayer along with us and yells, AMEN! And then giggles so hard because he thinks “amen” is the funniest part of it all haha! Then we share with each kid what our favorite thing we did with them that day was.
6. BOTTLE + GOODNIGHT! Atticus only takes a bottle for bedtime so we give both kids bottles and put them in their cribs and they go to bed. They both sleep around 12-13 hours at night so they are usually down for good. After the kids go to bed we usually plop on the couch and enjoy the silence and laziness for a good 30 minutes and then we have dinner and finish up work stuff while watching a show!
Do you guys have anything you love to do for bedtime routines?! I notice such a difference when we rush through bedtime routines and just kind of breeze through things. I feel like they sleep longer and better when they know bedtime is coming. Anyways, thanks as always for reading!!!
*Thanks to Aveeno for sponsoring this post!