I think everyone has their “before the baby to do list” but I also have a ME to do list before the baby comes! And a revised one after having Atticus and realizing things I should have done beforehand. I think after you have your baby you are obviously on cloud nine but at the same time I didn’t feel super amazing about myself (hi granny panties, pads the size of mount everest, still looking 5 months pregnant, flabby everything, engorged boobs, tired eyes .. I could go on) so I think it’s important to do little things that can help us feel better about ourselves afterwards. And yes, a lot of these things many women may not care about (maybe I am realizing while writing this that maybe I am high maintenance? I don’t know.) but you can take what you want from it 🙂
1. LASHES!! I meant to get lash extensions before I had Atticus last year but I got busy (lazy) and ended up not doing it. I am blonde and have all blonde features…. meaning all my features disappear without makeup haha! As soon as I wash my face it’s bye bye lashes and eyebrows and for me doing my mascara is the longest process of my make up routine so not only are lash extensions a huge time saver but I feel so much better when I have them! It is so nice feeling like you don’t have to put any make up on and you can still have lashes that make you feel pretty. I had a hard time finding someone I liked in NYC so I used the Borboleta Directory to find a Borboleta certified stylist who happened to be here over fashion week! Borbeleta is great because they actually make my lashes look full enough where I dont feel the need to add mascara once I have put on my eyeliner. I always like them full enough where I can wear zero make up and look natural but once I have the make up on, they are still noticeable. They are also the softest lashes so I never even notice they are there.
2. WAX!! Seriously I hate shaving more than anything in life. Before this baby comes I am waxing everything. I should have done laser hair removal while I had the chance pre babies but I have been pregnant and/or breastfeeding for a lonnng time now so I missed that window.
3. HAIR APPT!! I scheduled mine terribly last time, it was way too early so by the time I had my baby I was already starting to get regrowth. I didn’t want to leave Atticus for three hours to get it done so I had pretty bad roots for a while until I was ready to leave him. So this time I scheduled one as close to my due date as possible and one before my “possible” induction date just in case.
4. WAIST TRAINER!! Last pregnancy I had gotten a belly band for afterwards and I had ordered a size small thinking that would fit. IT DIDN’T EVEN COME CLOSE! I meant to re order it in a size large but got lazy and never did. This time I definitely want to have a good waist trainer to hold everything together and form it all back to its previous state. I have been looking into different ones and will let you know which one I end up getting. Right now I’m thinking this one.
5. PLETHORA OF NURSING BRAS!! I had two nursing bras last time and I thought that would be enough. Oh no. When breastfeeding even with the pads inside I still would get milk on them and sometimes would wake up to a soaking wet bra and soaked through pads. I of course don’t want to do laundry every single day so this time I got WAY more so I have clean ones on hand. (this is my favorite bra I have 3 in the tan, 2 blush pink, and 2 black) And yes I know that is so many bras but when you have milk coming out like a pitcher, they are much needed.
6. TANNING!! I feel 900000 times better when I am tan. And 90000 times skinnier. I just am a big believer in sunless tanning I wish I had threw some on before I had Atticus and with these it is sooo easy! It’s hard to find time to do it after the baby comes and especially once you start breastfeeding. I was always scared it would transfer on to the baby when we were snuggling haha so definitely needs to happen before.
Anyways, that is all. Like I said I know this is all trivial stuff when it comes to having a baby! Its all about the baby but at the same time I think us mamas need to feel good too. I never did understand why people take such issue with women who wear make up when they give birth – I mean this is such a special day and one you will remember forever and ever, so I dont know about you but I definitely wanna look good on a day I am gonna be looking back on for the rest of my life haha. So these are just a few things I wish I had done last time and am definitely doing this time around 🙂
*Thanks to Borbeleta for sponsoring this post!