So it’s about that time. Swimsuit weather, bikini weather, spring break weather and a lot of people have asked me about how I take care of my skin and hair while at the beach or pool or just in the sun in general. First thing’s first, last summer, David and I committed ourselves to be better at protecting ourselves from the sun! It’s been such a hard habit to break because I grew up tanning outside and just basking in the sun every time I went to the pool or beach. So this means high SPF sun screens, sun hats, umbrellas and oversized sunglasses, even for short durations in the sun. But that doesn’t mean I want to look pale and lifeless at the beach. We have some plans to escape the New York cold so in preparation I started looking into a new self tanner and discovered my new favorite sunless tanner. I was inspired by my friend Cara from Maskcara.com who sold me on Tanwise because she always seems to be able to achieve the perfect tan! I ordered Tanwise from Sally Beauty Supply and was amazed with the results! I’ve found that if you follow these steps, it’s the easiest way to achieve that perfect tan.
1. Get Tanwise Sunless Tanning Lotion
2. Shave your legs, arms, etc.
3. Prepare a small bowl of sugar (I usually always keep a jar in the bathroom for exfoliation)
4. Exfoliate the areas you’ll be tanning to remove any dead skin to allow better application and absorption.
5. Put a generous amount in your hands
6. Apply on desired areas (Cara gave some great suggestions to use gloves, or to apply with a sponge paint brush. I prefer to use my hands, which will lead to orange hands. Eeeek. BUT, most dish soaps, not bathroom hand soaps, will do a good job of eliminating that.)
As you can see the before and after is like night and day! It really gives a nice natural, warm (not orange) glow. You may notice the after photo has some shadows and over all looks just a bit darker, but that’s just because by the time I finished the sun had set a bit and we had different lighting, but you get a good idea of the shade of tan. I’ve used so many other sunless tanners but have fully converted!
Now that the tan is taken care of, it’s all about skin and hair protection. Most of us know how damaging chlorine can be on hair (especially blonde) but I’ve had a lot of people ask about extension hair care. I discovered Cinderella Hair extension shampoo and conditioner. I use it on my extensions like you would with any other shampoo or conditioner on your hair, only off the head straight in the sink to avoid tugging at the clips and damaging your hair. You simply:
1. Wet the hair
2. Put a generous amount of shampoo in your hands to form lather
3. Work the hair from bottom up.
4. Rinse hair thoroughly
5. Apply conditioner to hair
6. Fully coat and massage into hair
7. Rinse thoroughly.
Voila! I normally recommend not swimming with extensions, but sometimes it’s hard to avoid. So when that happens, it’s great to have this on hand to restore the shine and keep your extensions looking brand new! Hope these tips helped. Have fun (but be safe) in the sun!