5 Tips to Keep Your Marriage Alive
BY MALENA PAZ
We are coming up on our 10 year anniversary!!! I still can’t believe we have been married for 10 years and together for 14. If you didn’t know, I met my husband when I was just 15 years old. I’ll share more about our love story one day but today I wanted to share a few things we’ve learned along the way to keep our marriage lit (word recommendation from the hubs-haha!). Within these ten years we have definitely had our ups and downs. Moments of passion and love and others of “leave me alone I need my space”. I think every marriage goes through that as you grow with each other and experience certain things that change and mold you over time.
We all know things like communication, honesty and respect are huge factors in a loving relationship. Today I want to share some not so common tips that you can do on a daily basis to keep the love flowing and passion growing.
1. Greeting each other when coming home : I’m not going to lie and sit here saying I do this every day because I don’t but the times I remember and do, it makes such a difference. It only takes a few seconds but acknowledging when your spouse comes home with a hug or kiss says so much! For me, it says a few things- “Thank God your here!” (Lol), “I’m happy your here”, and “I love you, welcome home”. After a long day at work, trust me, your spouse will appreciate the gesture.
2. Embrace The Kiss : On that same subject, don’t just give your spouse a peck on the cheek and pat on the back. Take a few seconds to embrace the kiss. Again, it only take a few seconds but if you have kids then most likely the rest of your evening will be busy with dinner, play time, homework and bed time routines. That one welcome home kiss might be the only one you get all day so take advantage!
3. Day Dates/lunch dates : This is huge for us! We only work 10 minutes from each other and have realized lunch dates and day dates are much more practical for us. Its hard finding a sitter for evenings/nights that is willing to do the kids bed times routines and if your kids are like mine, then they prefer their parents at night. By the time we get them to bed it’s way too late to try to go out so we’ve resorted to meeting each other during the day (while we have child care) to enjoy a nice lunch. If you really want to do something special take a half day away from work and explore a museum or go for a short/long hike. Get creative!
4. Serving each other : This may sound simple but it took me awhile to learn how to serve my husband and it’s still something I’m working on. Sometimes as moms we focus so much on making sure the kids are ok and have been fed, clothed and entertained that we forget about our spouse. We live in a society where taking care of yourself first, being your own boss and self-love are praised and encouraged and serving others is been placed on the back burner (in my opinion). For husbands-the simple question:”Is there anything I can help you with right now” will mean so much and help you practice serving your wife.
5. Hold Hands : This may be a no brainer for some but it’s easy to forget. Whenever possible, hold your spouse’s hand when out and about, sitting together at church, or in the car. Holding hands is a sign of affection, friendship, protection and comfort. It can ease stress and even be an ice breaker when upset.
These are just a few of the many things you can do on a daily to get closer to your spouse. I have another post coming soon on marriage advice so stay tuned.
With Love, Malena.
I’m Malena, I’m a mom of two and have been married for 10 years now to the love of my life. I’m a southern girl-born and raised in Atlanta Ga but my family is from Argentina so I have a little of that Latin flare.
When I became a blogger one of the hardest things I had to do was come up with a name. I researched, looked around to see what everyone else was doing and honestly went crazy trying to come up with the perfect name. I like to write and share so many different aspects of my life that I couldn’t just focus on one thing, so my husband and I came up with “Living with Paz”. So simple right? We wanted to take you along this journey of life with the Paz family. BUT…
What you may not know is that Paz in Spanish means peace, and that is also what I hope to express through my blog. I want you to live a life in abundance, full of peace and joy. Living your life to the fullest and being the best version of yourself. Not only for personal growth and happiness but also for your children, family and loved ones.
You can find me on my blog at www.livingwithpaz.com.
Top Tips for Creating Balance in Your Life
Today I wanted to hop on here and talk about finding balance in your life. It’s so, so important to make this a priority in your life. Even small steps toward balance can bring you happiness and content. The other day I heard a quote that really hit home with me, “Balance is not something you find, it’s something you create.” Here are a few tips on how to create more balance in your daily life.