7 Ways to Document Your Pregnancy
Can I just say that being pregnant is such a magical time! No matter how many times you’ve been pregnant or how sick you feel – it’s a rare time in your life where your body is literally growing a human.
It’s such a miracle and it’s so fun to document so that you can look back on that time in your life and think, “Wow look what my body did!? As a photographer, I’ve been having fun taking photos and having photoshoots with my husband during this time of my pregnancy, but there are so many other ways YOU can document yours.
Here are a few ways to document your pregnancy.
1. Keep a Journal – This can be a fun and simple way to privately keep track of how you’re feeling and what’s new in your pregnancy. Each day of pregnancy can be so different and there’s so many quirky symptoms that can surprise you and are kind of funny to write down and look back at later. When I was at about 12 weeks I cried because we didn’t have jelly in the house and I REALLY needed a PB&J… It’s such a funny and tiny memory that I don’t want to forget.
2. Take a 1 Second Video Each Day – You don’t have to be a videographer to make a video of your pregnancy. My favorite app is 8mm. You can upload videos to it from your phone or use it to take a video at a moments’ notice. Then you can easily put each clip together, add some music and you have a really cute video!
3. Track Your Symptoms on Your Phone – Because symptoms can be so random, and you meet with your doctor a lot in the beginning, I didn’t want to forget what questions I had for her so I would frequently just write down what my symptoms were each day for the first 15 weeks. I’m glad I did because then when I’m pregnant the next time around, I can refer to the list and be reminded like “oh yea this is normal…!”.
4. Take Polaroid Photos – Taking polaroid pics are so fun and such a quick and easy thing to do. I have a Fufifilm instax mini and I LOVE it. I keep the photos around our house and have enjoyed taking photos of different “bump” stages.
5. Schedule a Photoshoot – Even if you’re not a photographer you can still schedule a photoshoot with one. Plus it’s a great excuse to get dressed up with your husband and celebrate this amazing time in your life. If you’re choosing to have one photoshoot during your pregnancy, choose a time when you have a bump. 20 – 30 weeks is a great time because you won’t be tiny but you also won’t be feeling huge yet.
6. Write a Note to Your Babe – There are so many times during my pregnancy that I thought, “I wish our babe knew how loved she already is!” Writing a note to your future son or daughter is a special way to share funny anecdotes, emotions, and how you’ve been preparing. There is so much planning and tons of fun stuff you get to do like painting the nursery, picking out a name, having a baby shower… your babe would love to know someday.
7. Capture the Milestones – Even if you opt to staying more private during your pregnancy you can choose to capture the big moments even if you don’t show the photos or videos to anyone. The first heartbeat appointment, finding out the gender, telling others the gender, picking a name, decorating the nursery… these are some BIG moments you may want to capture with a fun photo or video.
Pregnancy is unique, special, exciting, and tough for each individual but is still incredible and so special. It’s worth documenting! I hope you find a way to document it in a way that’s personal and special to YOU!
Hey there! I’m Kylie; a 25-(ish)-year-old photographer enjoying life with my husband and fluffy golden retriever.
If we sat down for a cup of tea and macarons, I would tell you that I believe laughter and dancing around your house lip-syncing to Whitney Houston can cure almost any sadness. I’m passionate about family, travel, writing and photography. I love using my camera to capture the sweet moments of beautiful souls like YOU.
When I’m not working, I’m enjoying the shoreline of Lake Michigan in rain, shine and snow, or snuggling with my husband and golden.
You can find me at kyliethompsonphotography.com.
8 Things I am Excited to Try With the New Baby
A NOTE FROM AMBER
Since having Rosie 3 years ago there have been so many new baby products released that I never got to use with her! It has been fun discovering new things that I get to try with number 3. I wanted to share some of the things I am most excited to use or to have in the nursery!