Roasted Butternut Squash Couscous
BY BRYNN MCDOWELL
Now that November is here, I can concentrate on one of my favorite holidays – Thanksgiving! I love that Thanksgiving is centered around gathering with friends and family to enjoy a meal together.
This year for Thanksgiving, I wanted to create a Mediterranean-inspired recipe that was vibrant and full of healthy, great tasting ingredients that everyone would love, even my sister who typically limits her plate to the “beige” foods like mashed potatoes, rolls and stuffing.
This Roasted Butternut Squash Couscous is a not only delicious and full of flavor, it’s also 100% vegetarian! It’s a great recipe idea if you are looking for a fun, festive dish for Thanksgiving that everyone will enjoy.
2 (whole) Butternut Squash
2 cups Couscous
3 tbsp olive oil (+1 tbsp)
2 tbsp curry powder
4 scallions, thinly sliced
2 tbsp golden raisins (you could also use dried cranberries or currants)
¼ cup pistachios, chopped
2 tbsp dried apricots, chopped
Salt and Pepper, to taste
Roasting the Squash
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F
2. Cut each butternut squash in half lengthwise down the middle
3. Scoop out the seeds and drizzle 1 tbsp olive oil over all 4 halves
4. Season each half lightly with salt and pepper
5. Place each half (cut side up) on a foil lined baking sheet and roast in the center rack of the oven for about 30 minutes
6. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before handling
Preparing the Couscous
1. Prepare the couscous according to the package instructions, set aside to cool slightly.
2. In a large bowl, combine the ¼ cup olive oil with the curry powder and mix well. Add the couscous to the olive oil mixture and stir to combine.
3. Add the scallions, raisins, apricots and pistachios and stir until everything is mixed together.
I think this dish is so stunning when you serve the couscous inside of the butternut squash halves. However, you can also peel and cube the butternut squash and serve it mixed in with the couscous is you prefer.
Visit our contributor section for posts on beauty, food and more.
Sweet & Easy Snack Recipe with only 3 Ingredients
With the holidays coming up and the colder weather, I absolutely love to snack! I am an amateur baker and chef, but I enjoy spending time with Ryland and Rori in the kitchen finding new, simple, and easy recipes. I am a major chocolate lover, it is my weakness! While creating and discovering new and easy recipes I wanted to incorporate chocolate for a fun snack and bonding time.