5 Ways to Self-Care at Home
BY JENNIFER VATTHONGXAY
These past couple of weeks have been so exhausting! With school I have been finding it a little difficult to unwind at night. My life is always going to busy especially with two growing kids (I can’t believe that my son Ryland is in Kindergarten!). I realized that my life isn’t going to slow down, it may even get busier! So I wanted to find easy ways to take care of myself before bed after the kids were tucked in and sound asleep. Here are my 5 ways to self-care at home, after hours.
1. Bubble Bath: this may seem like a no brainer, but it truly is so beneficial for relaxing especially after a long day. I use my children’s bedtime bubble bath wash from Johnson’s because it is so gentle and soothing.
2. Exfoliate and Mask : I love getting facials, but sometimes it can be difficult to make it to a spa. So, why not make your own mini spa at home? I always start off with this exfoliator, it is so gentle for my sensitive skin but it does the work and smells just like cranberries. After exfoliating, I will then finish the night off with a mask for about 15-20 minutes while I catch up on my TV shows.
3. Moisturize : I love applying moisturizer to my skin before bed, but how to really feel relaxed is to apply a generous amount of moisturizer to my hands and feet and then put “old”, but clean socks on my hands and feet to really lock in the moisture. I usually leave the socks on for about 20 minutes. Once you remove those socks your hands and feet will thank you! SO SOFT!
4. Stretch : If my body is ever feeling tight and tensed, I know that is usually the first sign of exhaustion. I like using this free app called SWORK IT. On SWORK IT you can choose how long you want to stretch from 5 minutes to 60 minutes and also the type of stretching you want to target for the day – head to toe, full body, or even Pilates.
5. Disconnect from Social Media : Sometimes I can get so caught up with social media and I watch one insta-story after another, and by the time realize it I am a couple hours in on Instagram or YouTube. With being on my phone late night this causes bad sleeping habits. Giving myself that disconnect from social media really encourages self-care. It promotes for me to actually have time to feel and think about the state of my body.
Self-care is so important and beneficial for not only you, but the people around you as well. My children get the best version of me when I take care and feel great about myself. Self-care doesn’t have to take hours at a spa or gym, it takes 30 minutes maximum or any amount of time that you have to spare. These are 5 easy ways you can take care of your body, mind, and soul – start tonight at home!
Hi! I’m Jennifer, I am a mama to two – Ryland and Rori. I work from home full time doing administrative work while attending University of California, Davis studying Human Development. I created my blog piecesofemerald.com
A question that I get quite often is how I came up with my blog name: Pieces of Emerald. Truth is, it came very natural to me because I was born in the month of May and so were Ryland and Rori – May’s birth stone is Emerald – Through my blog and social media, we are sharing a piece of our life.
Fun favorites of mine: I am a terrible baker, but I love sweets and enjoy the baking moments with my children. I am a foodie, I love all foods especially spicy foods – Thai food is an absolute favorite!
Visit our contributor section for posts on beauty, family and more.
How to Get Over A Bad Day
Health & Wellness
I’m sure we can all agree that sometimes we just have crappy days. Maybe someone said something that offended you, maybe you got in an argument with a loved one, you didn’t get enough sleep and just woke up mad (it’s happened to me!), or that person that cut you off on your way to work while you were already running late got the best of you.