Mint Chocolate Chip Cake Donuts
BY SCARLETT BENDIXEN
My son Remington loves green. Every single day he wears green. It makes it pretty difficult that his older brother’s hand me down clothes are mostly blue which was the typical “boy clothing” color. So every year when St. Patrick’s Day comes around I go all out in green for him!
These mint chocolate chip cake donuts came to me one night when I was laying in bed wishing I had a donut. It was probably the Food Network show I was watching combined with me thinking what recipes I was going to create this week that had me thinking of donuts at midnight. But the problem was that I couldn’t stop thinking about them until I made them 2 days later.
I knew I wanted to do something a little different then the typical mint brownie recipe this year for St. Patty’s Day! And let me tell you these were even better than I could have ever imagined them to be! Just think about it for a second. A freshly baked donut topped with a mint glaze! Come on! What could be more delicious than that! And let me tell you they were just as fun to bake as they were to eat!
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
Nonstick Donut Pans
Mint Chocolate Chip Cake Donuts Recipe
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a medium size bowl beat together vanilla, egg, sour cream, milk and oil.
3. Then add the sugar. Beat together.
4. Shift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt into the mixture.
5. Stir in the chocolate chips.
6. Spoon into a well greased donut pan.
7. Bake for 8 minutes or until the tops spring back after you touch them.
8. Once done remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes. Then turn the donuts out of the pan onto a cooling rack. Let cool before glazing.
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
1 small drop green food coloring
1 small drop blue or turquoise food coloring
Green Glaze Recipe
1. Whisk ingredients together (if you only want a slight hint of mint start with 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract and then taste it before you add the other 1/4 teaspoon).
2. Dunk donuts in frosting sprinkle with mini chocolate chips, sprinkles, or whatever you like!
3. Let cool for 5 minutes before eating.