We had a really fun time in Australia!! I was really impressed by how kid friendly it was! I thought I would write up some of our favorites as well as the recommendations we got from local readers. Here they are:
- Northern beaches in Manly: Manly Beach, South Curl Curl Beach (good ocean pools for kids) and Shelly Beach (you can walk along the coast).
- Bondi Beach: we really enjoyed our time here. there is a little ocean pool for kids to play and swim in off to the side of the beach. Look for the Bondi mural.
- Other beaches: Bronte, Clovelly, Tamarama are all closeby to each other and all kid friendly. Some have little tidal pools for kids to swim in.
- South Coast beaches (hour from Sydney- drive along the Sea Cliff Bridge)– Kiama blowhole, Wollongong City Beach, North Wollongong Beach (ideal for families), Coalcliff Beach
- Restaurants in Manly: Bare Naked Bowls (we loved this place!), Hugos Manly (pizza), Chica Bonita Manly (mexican), & the Bower Restaurant
- Coogee Pavilion (near Bondi): this place is great for kids. They take your order and then you can go sit near a huge play area for kids and they bring you your food. Definitely recommend.
- Pancakes on the Rocks. Really fun spot – its open all day and its very kid friendly. I liked the pancakes best plain with just butter and syrup – best pancakes I have ever had! The crazy toppings took away from how good the pancakes were. Take home some of their mixes!
- Mr. Wong: make a reservation a few weeks before you go, its always full.
- Criniti’s Italian (in Darling Harbour- breakfast/brunch)
- Gelato Messina (near Bondi)
- Rooftop restaurant at The Glenmore Hotel
- Cafe Sydney
- Aqua Dining
- Luna Park (amusement park- great for kids)
- Taronga Zoo: the zoo was so fun for the kids. They have a little gondola ride to take you across the zoo and I recommend doing that. It was super fun for them to see animals from above!
- Bondi Icebergs Club: Anyone can go – you just pay a small entrance fee! It was SO fun. The kids loved to swim and watch the waves crash into the pool.
- Manly Sea Life Sanctuary or Sea Life Sydney Aquarium
- See a show at the Sydney Opera House! We went to a little children’s play and the kids thought it was really fun.
- Outdoor Movie!! Depending when you go, you can go see a movie at the Moonlight Cinema. Atticus loved this. We saw Sing! The sun was setting and there were bats flying overhead – really fun night 🙂 bring a blanket if your hotel has one!
- Scenic Walks – there are quite a few scenic walks in Sydney! Our favorite was the walk from Bondi to Coogee. Its absolutely gorgeous! There are some stairs but otherwise stroller friendly.
- Pirate Ship – this was my favorite activity! Such a fun way to see the city. We did ours through Sydney Harbour Tall Ships and we did the Twilight Dinner Cruise. You can pay extra to do the mast climb! David did it and thought it was really fun 🙂
- Chinese Garden of Friendship
Activities without kids (if you have a sitter! most hotels offer babysitting services)
- Ax Throwing: you can go take an ax throwing class! We went to go do this and got completely lost – lol. So we never ended up getting there but I was excited for it.
- Sydney Bridge Climb: you can climb across the bridge which I have heard is really fun to do at sunset.
- Cooking class: lots of fun cooking classes in Sydney! Book in advance because they fill up quickly.
- Milsons Point
- Wendy’s Secret Garden (in Lavender Bay)
- Sydney Tower
- Take the ferry from the harbor to Manly Beach (great views of the opera house and bridge)
- Piper’s Lookout or Snapper Point Lookout
Areas to hang out
- Grounds of Alexandria (gardens, cafes): This place was fun for kids because they have a little petting zoo area that the kids really liked.
- The Rocks
- Westfield Bondi Junction (shopping center)
- Hyde Park