Reflecting on 2017 : Favorite Moments & Life Lessons
2017 was a crazy year! Can you believe it is already over? I learned so much about life, family and myself this year. Here are the top five lessons I learned :
1. This year like I said was the year of me really trying to always be present with the family. I have mentioned this a lot on the blog and I have learned that this is something I will always have to work on but little by little I do get better at it.
I actually have this meditation app (the Calm app) and they do this exercise on there where they play soft music but every couple minutes will ring a bell and the bell rings for about 60 seconds from when it starts to when it completely fades and you are supposed to only focus on the sound of the bell the entire time it is making sound. Little things like that really help. Or just telling myself when I am with the kids “be present” and reminding myself!
2. Our good friend gave us the advice “be unapologetic when it comes to business.” This year I have learned to stand my ground more and to be confident in my decisions. I can trust my gut even when people don’t agree with me. I have learned that people will try to take advantage of you when it comes to business so you have to be ready to stand your ground and stick up for yourself.
3. I learned to value more privacy. I have always been really open with anyone and everyone. I don’t really have a filter when it comes to sharing things and I like when my friends don’t have a filter either. I love when you meet someone and you can tell they aren’t just giving you BS fluff answers but they are really just saying it as it is. But this online world is still so new and I have tried really hard to learn what is too much and what is the right amount when it comes to the family. I still don’t know what the answer is. I think all kids will grow up with a social media footprint because most mothers are sharing photos of their kids online whether they have 10 followers or 100k followers – and I think it all comes from a place of being so excited that these are OUR tiny humans and we are so proud of them and don’t want to forget a single moment so we document and share. And I think it is SO great. Documenting (and sharing) really does bring me joy. I love the community of mothers on social media. I have just been trying to find what is best for our family and I still don’t know and am still trying to figure that out.
4. I want to look back on each and every year and think “we had so much fun this year.” This year was fun. There were a couple really devastating things that still really hurt but there was also so much good and so much fun. I think why plan itineraries and fun stuff just on vacations? I want to always have fun stuff planned for the family. Activities, outings, new sights to see, whatever it is. I just want us to look back and think, “we had so much fun.” And better yet, we didn’t wait till summertime to have fun or whatever it is.
5. Because of the devastating deaths (David’s brother and dad) I think I can speak for both David and I when I say we definitely learned that family is the most important. Of course we have always known this but it was just a really big reminder to keep that in the forefront of our minds. It has been so nice to spend so much time with family this year and I am so happy the kids have all their amazing cousins to grow up with. Family always comes first.
Favorite Moments of 2017
1. Rosie’s first dance recital.
2. Watching Atticus learn to swim!
3. Seeing Atticus score a goal in soccer.
4. Riding a vintage car on the Amalfi Coast of Italy.
5. Surfing for the first time in Hawaii.
I travelled to so many amazing places this year. These are my favorite destinations from 2017, click
the “read more” button to read my blog posts from each separate destination.
Wow guys Iceland is all it is talked up to be — I mean really wow! Every corner is something completely new and beautiful. We passed about 20 waterfalls on every drive and mountains and wild flowers – ahh. Really so stunning! We had so much fun pulling over and stopping to explore all the little corners. We saw these yellow flowers and had to pull over!
"Blossoms By Boat"
How beautiful are these cherry blossoms?! Coming to this park has been on my bucket list for so long. There were only 3 people allowed in a boat so we did 2 and 2! Which ended up being really hard haha – I started with Rosie but where I had to hold her – I couldn’t row without bumping Ro so we were moving very slowly haha. I passed her off to David and they found a better groove and me and Atticus had our little “Notebook” moment.
"Poolside in Maui"
I really had the best Mother’s Day weekend ever! We went to Maui and stayed at the Andaz Maui at Wailea Resort. It was our first time there and we loved it – especially the shallow pool which the kids had a blast in. We spent most of our time in the pool and by the pool.
"Airstream in Malibu"
We woke up this morning to the most beautiful sunrise – it looked like we were floating on top of the clouds! We slept in this Airstream that I rented on Airbnb and it was such a magical adventure with the family. We drove up the windy dirt road and got to the airstream on a cliff in the middle of nowhere! We immediately explored and tried to find animals – we saw deer, butterflies, and bunnies! We played lots of duck duck goose on the deck, ate dinner, played make believe, and watched the craziest most beautiful sunset!!!! I seriously can’t even explain how amazing it was.
Five Business Accomplishments
1. Hiring 12 new employees! Hiring and managing employees has proved to be the biggest business challenge thus far. It is really tricky and requires skills that I definitely didn’t have and have had to kind of learn. I still have a long way to go and need improvement but I am really proud of our growing team. Each employee we have is very independent and hard working and I learn so much from them and I love that.
2. Getting featured by Forbes as one of their top 20 influencers of 2017! This was such an honor. They even posted a photo and little blurb about me on their Instagram which I just DIED over (even if I seriously hated the photo lol)!!!
3. Our new warehouse/office!!! We have always worked from home so having an actual office has been life changing, truly. It is so so nice. It is also so great having our own warehouse and doing in house fulfillment.
4. Getting to work with some really amazing brands this year. I loved working with all the brands I did campaigns with but some highlights were Amazon, Kate Spade, J. Crew, Disney, Pandora, eos, CoulourPop, Kerastase, Shiseido, Willow and Clay, Shutterfly, Old Navy, Hanna Andersson, Olay, Nume, SKI-II, Fairmont and more!
5. All of the online and print magazine features that I was honored to be in this year! From Cosmo to People – it is always an honor to be highlighted.
Five Personal Accomplishments
1. This was definitely a year of being more present and intentional with my time especially my time with the kids. I really tried to focus on enjoying and making the most of each moment and I feel like we definitely did that this year!
2. It has been such an accomplishment to see Atticus succeed in school – he really makes my heart so happy. Every day the teacher sends home a little progress report of sorts and each day she will say if they were happy, sad, frustrated, etc. and EVERY single day his comes back marked ‘HAPPY!’ which I definitely consider an accomplishment as a mother. I want my kids to feel joy daily.
3. Fitness was a big one this year. I wanted to FEEL healthy and strong and have really focused being a more mindful eater and working out to build muscle. I don’t build muscle easy so I don’t know that I have big physical changes but I definitely feel stronger and healthier.
4. Swimming with sharks! I am a big wuss and get really scared to try new things – all the scary things I have done in life started with my crying very very big tears haha. I cried before I went sky diving, before going down for my first big scuba dive, when I went repelling down a mountain, all of it I cry haha! But I always feel really proud when I do it. Even if I threw up on the boat after.
5. Bought some cars and feeling like real grown ups.
What were your favorite memories of 2017? Was there a memorable moment that taught you an important lesson and helped you grow this year?