Homemade Biore Strips

Barefoot Blonde
Being 39 weeks pregnant and having not been feeling too good, I asked Olivia to model one of my FAVORITE beauty DIY’s !! This is a recipe on how to make your own Biore strips that you can use just on your nose, like you would a Biore strip, or you can do it to your whole face which is what I like to do and is what I had Olivia do in the photos! (And yes it is sickening how amazing her skin is without any make up!!) But this little concoction will leave your skin as smooth as everย and you’ll feel amazing.

So here is the recipe and directions…

1. Mix 1 TBSP Knox Unflavored Gelatin (make sure you get unflavored!!) with 1 1/2 – 2 TBSP of milk (totally preference! I have done both and prefer to do 1 1/2 Tbsp.) in a plastic cup or something you can throw away after.

2. Microwave concoction for 10-15 seconds and apply to face immediately (it hardens quick!)

*I mix and apply mine with the thick wooden little ice cream spoons from Wal-Mart – or you can use popsicle stick or whatever you have laying around :) and if you don’t have a microwave or something you can always heat up the milk in a pot beforehand and then add it to the gelatin.

3. Wait til the mixture on your face has dried completely and then peel off!

*Word to the wise – if you have peach fuzz it may pull on it! And hurt haha. So avoid those areas like around your ear and hair line and what not if you don’t want to experience that.

And that is it! Just two ingredients and your face will feel like a million bucks after no joke! It seriously makes it feel so smooth and flawless and your make up will go on like a DREAM the next day! Hope you guys all like it!! xoxo

Photography by Amanda from Jessica Janae Photography

PS I originally got the idea from this blog, here!BFB

Tags: , ,

61 Responses to “Homemade Biore Strips”

1. Mira June 11, 2014 at 6:06 am Permalink

Wow awesome diy. I can’t wait to try it :D

xx Mira

• amber June 11, 2014 at 9:07 am Permalink

Yeah totally try it, you will love!

2. Dalas June 11, 2014 at 6:46 am Permalink

Also, a quick note from experience, be careful not to get any of the mixture on your brows as I once had a dreadful accident when I accidentally got some on my right brow and lost a couple key hairs :( other than that I love this DIY!!!

• amber June 11, 2014 at 9:07 am Permalink

Oh yikes.. Yours must have been really strong!! Mine tugs on peach fuzz but does pull any out! Good to know though, avoid the brows haha :)

3. Andrea June 11, 2014 at 12:35 pm Permalink

Amazing DIY.Thank you for sharing.

• amber June 11, 2014 at 5:59 pm Permalink

Of course! Glad you like! xx

4. Rachel @ Blonde with a Chanse June 11, 2014 at 1:04 pm Permalink

Wow this is such an awesome idea! I have been having some skin issues lately, so hopefully this will help. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that your baby boy comes soon. I remember waiting in the end was super hard! Good luck :)

Rachel

• amber June 11, 2014 at 5:58 pm Permalink

Oh yeah definitely try it out then! I have been having skin issues too, especially with my stupid sun spots and I feel like this has helped! And ah yes please keep those fingers crossed haha :)

5. Ash June 11, 2014 at 1:06 pm Permalink

This is interesting! I am definitely going to try this!!!

Xo Ash

• amber June 11, 2014 at 5:57 pm Permalink

Yeah try it out!! Your skin will feel amazing!

6. Adri June 11, 2014 at 1:33 pm Permalink

First totally thought I got the wrong blog with seeing someone else’s face! But love this easy and cheap DIY! Going to give this a whirl tonight!
    xo Adri

• amber June 11, 2014 at 5:56 pm Permalink

Haha I wondered if some people would be confused!! But yes totally try it its honestly amazing!!

7. Michelle j June 11, 2014 at 2:59 pm Permalink

Shes a cutie!!! Im gonna have to try this recipe it looks awesome! Im sorry those last weeks are rough. Just take it easy. I went two weeks over w my first then ended up c- section. Youll have him in your arms soon enough. I pray everything goes good in your delivery! Good luck gorgeous. Hugs from mapleton. Not to far from you;)

• amber June 11, 2014 at 5:14 pm Permalink

Aw thanks Michelle! Yeah the last weeks are pretty dang rough! Thanks for your sweet words, means so much!! xx

8. Fashion Snag June 11, 2014 at 6:33 pm Permalink

Great idea!

9. Haley Valerie June 11, 2014 at 6:59 pm Permalink

Great DIY!

Haley
    haleyvalerie.com

10. Haley Valerie June 11, 2014 at 7:00 pm Permalink

I love this DIY!

Haley
    haleyvalerie.com

11. Cherilyn June 11, 2014 at 9:08 pm Permalink

This question is unrelated to this post which this is great post by the way, I’m going to try this on my face! :-) I was wondering, in your post, Life Lately via iPhone, there is a picture of you wearing sunglasses, it’s the Sunday Somewhere picture and you have on a purplish lipstick, which one is that?? I love it!!

12. Melody June 11, 2014 at 9:27 pm Permalink

Random question.. but can you use coconut or almond milk?
    & hope all is well with your pregnancy! best wishes! x

13. Hannah Krueger June 12, 2014 at 5:41 am Permalink

What type of milk? Is almond milk okay? (:

14. Christina Storm June 12, 2014 at 12:23 pm Permalink

Love this!! I need to try!

15. natalie June 12, 2014 at 2:36 pm Permalink

I’ve tried this before and loved the results. But it was extremely hard to pull off and came off in tiny pieces..someplaces i couldn’t even get it off so i gave up and had to wash it off. In other places it actually pulled off a little of my top layer of skin.

Do you know what would cause that to happen? maybe more milk would help or something. I just saw yours came off in one piece so and tips would be helpful!

Thanks

• Nicole June 17, 2014 at 8:10 pm Permalink

This same thing happened to me! It took me about 15-20 minutes to peel it off and I am still finding chunks on my skin. More info would be helpful!

16. Megan Schaltegger June 12, 2014 at 5:12 pm Permalink

Obsessed with biore strips! Even if my skin was looking good before, I always feel 10x healthier after. And generally my nose doesn’t have break outs or blemishes, but my chin does so this is perfect.

17. Katie Matthews June 13, 2014 at 12:16 pm Permalink

What an awesome idea! I’ll definitely be trying this out at home, before my holiday next week!

Thanks lovely,

Katie

18. Christina June 15, 2014 at 3:20 am Permalink

What about oily skin? Will this cause more oil? I desperately need SOMETHING for my face because it is loaded with acne scars and blackheads but I can’t find anything that works! I will try this one, fingers crossed! Thank you for sharing! And you are gorgeous! Love the baby bump photo :)

19. Therese June 17, 2014 at 4:34 pm Permalink

15 seconds in my microwave left this mixture VERY HOT!!! All the stress about it hardening super fast left me blowing on it once and then applying it to my face, ended up burning my cheek a little bit. Be careful, it hardens quickly, but not that fast! Other than that slight hiccup, I loved this DIY and it worked great!

20. Allie June 17, 2014 at 5:39 pm Permalink

Is it sopposed to smell like stinky cheese? I have it on right now and it seems to work. Thank you for posting this!

21. Nicole June 17, 2014 at 8:05 pm Permalink

I tried this stuff and it did not work out at all. I made it and followed the rules exactly. It hardened and I was super excited about it, but it wouldn’t come off. It took me over 15 minutes to peel this off and my skin feels exactly the same. I am even still finding pieces of it here and there and I am very disappointed with this.

22. Courtney June 18, 2014 at 4:29 pm Permalink

My skin feels amazing!!! Thank you so much for this wonderful diy!!!

23. Allyson June 25, 2014 at 9:52 pm Permalink

Do you have a vegetarian friendly option instead of the gelatin? I love the idea!

• Karlah July 17, 2014 at 2:20 am Permalink

Agar is vegetarian gelatin. It’s made from seaweed. You can get it from health food stores.

24. Kate June 27, 2014 at 12:17 pm Permalink

I love ready about HOMEMADE products. I for sure going to try this. And I’m also going to put the recipe on one of my Cards and put it in my Avon Brochure, when I hand them out to clients and let them know where I got it. I love giving them little Health an Beauty suggestion.
    So Thank you!
    Avon Lady/ Cosmetolgist
    Kate

25. Kate June 27, 2014 at 12:21 pm Permalink

I love reading about HOMEMADE products. Im for sure going to try this. And I’m also going to put the recipe on one of my Cards and put it in my Avon Brochure, when I hand them out to clients and let them know where I got it. I love giving them little Health an Beauty suggestion.
    So Thank you!
    Avon Lady/ Cosmetolgist
    Kate

26. Marcela June 30, 2014 at 9:37 pm Permalink

I saw at petitielefant.com and have tried it a few times and love it! A tip is that if you get it on your hair/eyebrows, just wash it off with water! Also, avoid the under eye area since it’s super sensitive!

27. Jessica July 1, 2014 at 8:29 am Permalink

She looks so happy…I did this last night and I’ve never felt so much pain in my entire life lol I usually have a high pain tolerance, but not on my face apparently…lol!

28. samra manzoor July 1, 2014 at 4:32 pm Permalink

can u please tell me something to use instead of gelatin

29. Samantha July 2, 2014 at 1:31 am Permalink

How often can I use this? Like once a week or once a month?
    I did try it and my skin feels amazing!!!

30. Faby July 12, 2014 at 7:28 pm Permalink

Waiting for it to dry now. We shall see shortly :). Thanks!

31. Brooke July 14, 2014 at 1:28 am Permalink

I use Elmer’s glue. Works fantastic. I’m not sure how my version compares to yours. :)

32. Ana July 14, 2014 at 3:48 am Permalink

I love this! I always try different DIY beauty tricks, just to see what works best for my skin (and doesn’t cost an arm and a leg!). This one makes my skin feel soft and look lovely! Definitely keep in mind that it pulls on peach fuzz… I didn’t think about that the first time I tried it and contemplated just leaving the mixture on until it came off on its own because it hurt to pull on it haha.
    Highly recommend, even to those who aren’t big on DIY. :)

33. eva July 26, 2014 at 5:06 am Permalink

This is a real popular one but seriously, it hurt me like hell! No joke. Very discomforting. But no pain no gain I guess???

34. Hallie July 31, 2014 at 10:02 pm Permalink

Do you use both milk and gelatin ?

35. Cristi August 2, 2014 at 5:38 am Permalink

OMG!!!!! I just now did this and my face is sooooo soft. I was so excited that a) I actually had the ingredients in my kitchen and b) it was so simple, that I ran to my kitchento do this without first reading through the comments. A few seconds into it I started reading the comments, I started to panic. I had gotten a good amount onto my eyebrows, I have sensitive skin so the pain I thought I was about to endure had me panicked, and I hadn’t spread it evenly bc I was afraid of it hardening, that I spread it quickly.
    A few tips from my experience:
    It won’t harden THAT fast. Mix it a little and blow into it before applying to reduce the heat, mine was warm. Apply in sort of globs, not too thin and not too thick, this will help it come off in one piece. Avoid eyebrows and under eyes. Some hairs were pulled!! Dont be afraid once it dries, it’s kind of a scary feeling but it’s not so bad. I made faces to loosen it just a little bit in a small area so that i could grab and pull. I don’t know it that reduces effectiveness, but I wasn’t ready to pull my face of (as I read in a previous comment). The “pain” wasn’t horrid like I expected, it honestly didn’t hurt. I did pull it off as soon as it hardened though, I wouldn’t let it sit like that for too long. I did have a few remnants on the side of my face and under my chin, which I wiped off with a cloth and warm water. My face feels soft and so far so good; my nose and chin are the worst areas of my face and they look and feel clean!

36. Ashley August 5, 2014 at 1:44 am Permalink

Does it have to be Knox gelatin or can it be any unflavored gelatin?

37. Megan Simpson August 7, 2014 at 6:50 pm Permalink

Can’t wait to try this! Always looking for great DIY beauty tricks.

38. Nachomama August 8, 2014 at 8:11 am Permalink

Did it! Love it. Do it.

but one little tip….it dries hard and aint easy to get off. It was not without some pinchy ouch ouch moments. and not talkin hair removal either. Try to pull your skin or hold your face taught (just like for waxing) and move in little bursts. i’ll experiment with thinner formula or using less next time. could be a technique problem.

still, worth it!

39. Lina August 13, 2014 at 2:05 am Permalink

Hi! It sounds amazing this DIY but I have a doubt, what douse it mean “TBSP”???
    Thanks for the recipe ((;

• Megan August 20, 2014 at 2:18 pm Permalink

It’s a tablespoon. Tbsp is short for tablespoon. :)

40. Anna August 13, 2014 at 2:20 am Permalink

Saw this on Pintrest and was really excited to try this mask. My excitement quickly faded as I began to peel off the mask. I don’t know what went wrong or if my skin is too young (age 18) or something but it HURT like CRAZY to pull off. I had so much pain that I got all hot and my eyes started tearing up. It was an absolutely terrible experience. Even though the mask was so strongly attached to my skin, it only got rid off a couple of blackheads on the end of my nose. I followed the instructions as directed but NEVER AGAIN will I do this mask.

41. evelinne August 14, 2014 at 7:31 am Permalink

I am actually trying it while I am typing this. I found this on Pinterest and I always have problems with having a lot of dead skin on my face even if I do not use foundation or concealer (and I might add – I don’t use them because I have problems with the dead skin). So when i found this tutorial I said to myself that if this works I am saved. What I can say right now is that it does have a bad odor. Maybe its just me, but the concoction smells really bad, once it started drying on my face, the odor went away. Its starting to feel cool on my face because of the gelatin drying but it kinda feels like the minty lip glosses out there (the ones supposedly making your lips bigger). … I took the mask off and My skin feels really soft. I like this mask!!! the mask peels easily off your face if you put it on thicker and not put it on really thin. I noticed that in some areas I put a thinner layer and it dried like a really thin crust on my face and it was harder to peel, but most of my face had the layer really thick, I pulled the mask right off. Awesome mask, will try it again!

42. Courtney August 23, 2014 at 1:13 am Permalink

This looks so simple and fun! Is it okay to use Almond Milk for the milk portion?

• Jaz August 26, 2014 at 3:43 am Permalink

I used coconut milk and it worked fine

43. Jaz August 26, 2014 at 3:42 am Permalink

Just wanted to inform everyone that I did do this with Coconut milk, it works and smells like coconut cream

44. alexis August 26, 2014 at 2:42 pm Permalink

I tried this today and it works great! Can’t wait to do it again. Great tips, thanks!

45. amy August 30, 2014 at 4:38 am Permalink

Ack! No one mentioned the HORRIBLE smell! Or a caution that mixture is HOT when directly out of the microwave! Be careful!

• amy August 30, 2014 at 4:40 am Permalink

Oh! Read some more comments and there is one mentioning the smell (so bad!). May try next time with coconut milk, like some have suggested :)

1. Friday Finds 16: How to Frost a Cake, Glam Glow Masks and More | Mocha and Moccasins - June 20, 2014

[…] / 2 / […]

2. Weekend Reading. | The Fig's Heart โ€” for the curious & the creative — Lauren Burkitt, Vancouver - June 21, 2014

[…] Homemadeย biore strips. […]

3. Blackhead Removal Methods Barefoot Blonde by Amber Fillerup Clark - August 13, 2014

[…] way I like to remove my blackheads is with this recipe I posted, here. A lot of you have said it hurts to pull off, It really shouldn’t hurt so my advice is to NOT […]