Natural Remedies To Fight Acne

Natural remedies for getting rid of acne So today I am talking about acne and natural ways to get rid of it! I am not against using products with chemicals, I have plenty in my medicine cabinet, but I definitely prefer doing things natural when I can and honestly I have tried all of these and I think they work better than most products anyways. It also doesn’t hurt that most of these items we have in our homes already so it saves some money! (some of these you cannot do while pregnant so if you are make sure you ask your doctor first.)

1. Pepto-Bismol: Who knew Pepto-Bismal could be used in your beauty routine?? It has salicylate and benzoic acid in it which are both found in a lot of acne treatments out there. These acids are lipid soluble so they can fight through oils and use their anti-fungal properties to get rid of acne! How to use it: So basically you just use it like you do nail polish remover… grab a cotton ball and put it on top of the opening and tip upside down and then just dab on your face. Leave this on for about 15 minutes and then rinse with warm water!

2. Tomatoes: Vitamins A and C are found in acne treatments and also found in tomatoes. The acidity in them can get rid of acne as well as shrink your pores! How to use it: You can apply tomatoes several ways for a facial – you can slice them and lay down with the slices placed on the problem areas for about 15-20 minutes or you can scoop out the insides and apply to your face, which I find to be a bit more messy!

3. Aspirin: Aspirin contains salicylic acid which is the most commonly used ingredient in acne treatments. It will clean out the pores and exfoliate clearing up acne. How to use it: So to use this you will get a small bowl and put in just enough water to dissolve the aspirin pills and make a paste. You can use 5-7 uncoated pills, but most say not to do more than 7. When the pills look soft, you can crush them to speed the process. Then I like to add a little bit of honey which has antibacterial properties and will also help with the acne. I just add about a teaspoon or two. Then you apply to your face for 10-15 minutes. *you can also use this without honey as a spot treatment.

4. Nutmeg and Cinnamon: This is one of my all time favorites. (I talked about it a long time ago, here) Nutmeg has major antifungal and antibacterial properties that will work as an astringent and clean out your pores. The cinnamon will bring the blood to the surface which will plump your skin as well as dry out any problem areas. How to use it: Mix 1 1/2 tsp. honey, 1 tsp. cinnamon, and 1 tsp. nutmeg into a bowl until it becomes a paste. Apply to face and leave on for 20-30 minutes.

*Hope you guys enjoy! Comment if you try any of these and let me know how you like them! But remember like any acne treatment it may need to be used more than once depending on how bad the problem area is :)  when I break out I usually pick one of these and do it 3-4 times in a week and it clears it up. However, if you are needing just one big one cleared up really quick for an event or something the next day, do the Aspirin one without honey as a spot treatment and leave it on a little longer! Xx

Photo by Jessica Janae Photography

Tags: , ,

27 Responses to “Natural Remedies To Fight Acne”

1. kcomekarolina January 23, 2014 at 1:16 am Permalink

interesting!

xoxo from rome
    K.
    kcomekarolina.com

2. Nina / Hermania January 23, 2014 at 1:38 am Permalink

The nutmeg-cinnamon one sounds pretty great! Unfortunately I don’t have any of the ingredient in my dorm!

3. Andrea January 23, 2014 at 4:33 am Permalink

Very interesting post!I didn’t know any of this.Thank you for sharing, I’ll try them all :-)

4. Haley Valerie January 23, 2014 at 5:13 am Permalink

I have heard of all of these except for the pesto-bismol one. I will have to try it!

Haley
    haleyvalerie.com

5. Monica January 23, 2014 at 5:37 am Permalink

I’ve never heard of using any of these remedies, except the asprin trick. My skin has been breaking out a little bit, so these look like something new I should try!

M.

6. Christina Storm January 23, 2014 at 6:03 am Permalink

Great ideas! I am going to have to try some!

7. Supal {chevrons and éclairs} January 23, 2014 at 6:15 am Permalink

I’ve been doing the nutmeg and cinnamon routine, but adding rosewater to the mix as a mask! It has done wonders for my skin and it’s a routine my mom has used since she was a teenager in India! x

8. Jessalyn January 23, 2014 at 9:52 am Permalink

I must try all of these!

9. AnnaLise January 23, 2014 at 9:56 am Permalink

These are great! Who knew? Aspirin and Pepto Bismol! Thanks! :) Definitely will have to try these out!

10. Amanda Elizabeth January 23, 2014 at 9:58 am Permalink

I never thought of Pepto Bismol! Thanks for this tips!

11. Ash January 23, 2014 at 10:45 am Permalink

This is interesting!!! Pepto Bismol? I would have never of thought lol… Great tips girl…

xo Ash,

12. Courtney January 23, 2014 at 11:14 am Permalink

You can also mash up the tomato and mix with sugar to make a great black-head clearing scrub! Love all of these all natural skin remedies!

13. Charlotte Copeland January 23, 2014 at 12:58 pm Permalink

This post so informative. Definitely going to give some of these a try x

14. Lindsay R January 23, 2014 at 2:09 pm Permalink

These are great suggestions- thank you! I think I will try them because I will get a problem area now and then. Another idea is if you already have a zit, putting tea tree oil on it to heal faster and reduce the appearance of a blemish or scar. It works really well! Like $8 a bottle at a health food store.

15. Jessica January 23, 2014 at 2:54 pm Permalink

Great tips!! I usually use tooth paste right before I go to bed on my problem areas

16. Erin @ The Grass Skirt January 23, 2014 at 5:46 pm Permalink

Great tips! I am all for natural home remedies whenever possible.

17. Kristin Liana January 26, 2014 at 5:56 pm Permalink

I am a huge fan of the honey/nutmeg/cinnamon mask! I do this a couple times a week, and it has transformed my skin. I use Manuka honey, and I highly recommend it. I usually buy it from amazon. The brand is called Wedderspoon — it’s organic, and it has great antibacterial and moisturizing properties. I’m loving your skincare posts lately! I also tried the sugar scrub and love it, it’s worked really well for me!

Kristin

18. Michelle January 29, 2014 at 1:15 pm Permalink

I tired the cinnamon and honey nutmeg mask last night. I have never considered myself to have sensitive skin, however my face burned and itched and turned tomato red after leaving it on for 22 minutes. This morning it was still very red and itchy. Has this happend to anyoen else while using cinnamon and nutmeg on their skin? My skin felt great, but I look just awful today.

• Kristin Liana January 30, 2014 at 9:30 pm Permalink

Although I have not personally experienced this, I’ve heard that sometimes cinnamon can have this affect on some people’s skin. If your skin in sensitive to cinnamon, try using honey and tumeric spice instead. Just keep in mind the tumeric can leave your skin looking a little yellow if you don’t rinse it completely. It won’t stain your skin permanently, but if you try this mixture, I don’t want it to scare you the first time you use it! It’ll wash off :) I hope this helps!

• amber January 31, 2014 at 9:30 am Permalink

Oh thanks for sharing the alternative! Yeah I have heard of that happening, I mean when I do it it definitely stings but I don’t mind a sting if I know it is doing something! But I have not experienced my face still being red the next day! Sorry that happened, definitely try what Kristen recommended! :)

19. Amy January 29, 2014 at 9:07 pm Permalink

Oh my gosh! The Pepto-Bismol thing is so cool! I always hated Pepto-Bismol solely because I drank it when I felt nauseous, but now maybe this remedy will give me a reason to give it a second chance. I’m excited to try it. Oh, and the Asprin one too. (I’ve heard of similar remedies but I was always a little dubious.)

• amber January 31, 2014 at 9:45 am Permalink

Yeah when I heard about pepto I was shocked!! But I love it!! :)

20. Joanna February 26, 2014 at 3:17 am Permalink

Hi Amber, these masks are great & have been using the cinnimon & nutmeg one & just tried the aspirin & honey mask last night! I was wondering if there’s any nightly masks that you do to sleep in that also help skin?

21. Sierra August 15, 2014 at 12:18 am Permalink

I would love to hear more about the daily food you eat to stay healthy with great skin and body and just overall glowing image. Maybe some good healthy recipes? what is a typical day like for you as far as what you eat and do you take vitamins?

• Sierra August 15, 2014 at 12:26 am Permalink

I’m such a dork you have a whole lifestyle section on this!

1. Happy Snow Day!! | Blue Mountain Belle - January 31, 2014

[…] Barefoot Blond posted her natural acne remedies this week. I have tried the advil before but never have I heard of Tomato […]