Loose Braid Tutorial

Loose Braid Tutorial

STEP ONE: Take three sections

STEP TWO: Begin doing a Dutch braid (basically instead of putting the outside section on top of the middle section, you put it underneath the middle section in a braiding motion.)

STEP THREE: Pull out each loop quite a bit to make the braid look thicker and looser.

STEP FOUR: Repeat on other side and connect both braids in back with an elastic and hair spray.

Loose Braid Tutorial **Photos by Jessica Janae Photography

34 Responses to “Loose Braid Tutorial”

1. stephanie January 15, 2014 at 11:35 am Permalink

Step three is a great tip! Going to try it :)
    xx Stephanie (www.stephaniesstyleblog.com)

2. Mel January 15, 2014 at 11:46 am Permalink

Love this Amber! You always have the best hair tutorials! so pretty

xo Mel
    turquoise blonde

3. Ash January 15, 2014 at 12:03 pm Permalink

Loved loved this tutorial Amber!! Can’t wait to try it out myself!!

xo Ash,

4. Julie January 15, 2014 at 12:29 pm Permalink

I am so glad you are back to doing hair and makeup
    posts and tutorials :) Love this look xx

5. sonia January 15, 2014 at 12:43 pm Permalink

amber i love this! i was wondering- what program do you use to make these images? btw your twisted braid from forever ago is my GO TO always lol love it xx

6. Rachel January 15, 2014 at 12:56 pm Permalink

Love it! Do you use any extensions for this look?

7. Adri January 15, 2014 at 1:02 pm Permalink

You seriously have the best braids! Mine never come out looking as great as yours!

xo Adri

8. Amie January 15, 2014 at 1:24 pm Permalink

So gorgeous!

9. Js January 15, 2014 at 1:41 pm Permalink

First, congrats on that sweet little baby bump! You’re absolutely luminous!!! And of course the hair, ahhhh-mazing, but it always is! I was wondering if you ever might consider making a video of this so it’s more tangible and it would be awesome to see how/if you use extensions in this look (and others for the future). You inspired me to try extensions and now $400 later I’m still a fumbling idiot! Haha but I’m trying so I need some more tips and you have a knack at making these looks accessible! Thanks for inspiring us! You’re truly a doll! Xx

• amber January 19, 2014 at 10:35 pm Permalink

Hey girl! Aw thank you so so much!! And yeah I can totally do a video tutorial on this look! You can put in the single clip extensions the same as I did in the Side Braid Video and then for the long ones with 3 clips you would just do them straight instead of on a slant! :) but I will definitely try to get a tutorial for this look! xx

10. Hope Howland (@HHDesigns) January 15, 2014 at 3:10 pm Permalink

Really great! I’ve never heard of a “dutch braid” before…
    Hope
    hchdesigns.blogspot.com

• amber January 19, 2014 at 10:34 pm Permalink

Thanks!! And ahh dutch braids are my favorite and so so easy! You will have to try it!

11. Emily Jenny January 15, 2014 at 3:40 pm Permalink

STUNNING! Love all your braids.

Emily Jenny

Stiletto Beats

• amber January 19, 2014 at 10:33 pm Permalink

Thanks Emily!! xx

12. mw January 15, 2014 at 4:36 pm Permalink

thanks so much!!!! my question is how would you do this with clip-in extensions??

• amber January 19, 2014 at 10:33 pm Permalink

You could just do the single clip extensions about an inch and a half down from your part and maybe just do two of them! You can see my Side Braid Tutorial and how I put them in for that style would work for this! xx

13. Fiftytwothursdays January 15, 2014 at 8:38 pm Permalink

Love this braid tutorial!! Check out my tutorial on how to install clip in hair extensions! Super easy and won’t damage your hair!!

• amber January 19, 2014 at 10:31 pm Permalink

Thanks so much girl!

14. Mary Joe January 15, 2014 at 11:12 pm Permalink

LOVE this look!!!

• amber January 19, 2014 at 10:31 pm Permalink

Thank you Mary Joe!!

15. Sam January 16, 2014 at 9:40 am Permalink

Thanks so much for this! I cannot wait to try it. I think maybe my braids have gone wrong because I braid on top? We’ll see!

• amber January 19, 2014 at 10:26 pm Permalink

Yay I am excited for you to try it! And yeah try doing it under and see if it works better for you, I personally like the look of a dutch braid better than a french!

16. Jessica January 16, 2014 at 11:56 am Permalink

This loose braid is gorgeous!! Thank you for sharing :)

• amber January 19, 2014 at 10:22 pm Permalink

Thanks girlie!! xx

17. Maria January 16, 2014 at 10:21 pm Permalink

Very pretty braid….
    Can’t wait to try it out….
    Q: what color lipstick are you wearing?

• amber January 19, 2014 at 10:15 pm Permalink

Thanks girl!! I am wearing NARS Heat Wave!

18. Lauren March 29, 2014 at 8:27 pm Permalink

Hey! This person took your tutorial, watermarked it as their own, and now has it on Pinterest leading to a spam site FYI – http://www.pinterest.com/pin/89509111319015262/ – thought you would like to know :)

1. Favorites Friday | Dress Jess XO - January 29, 2014

[…] ABS! On Tone It Up  Red Carpet Dreaming On Style Me Grasie The 7 Habits of Highly Stylish PeopleLoose Braid Tutorial On Barefoot Blonde I hope you liked my favorites. Let me know if something inspired […]

2. what i love wednesday {No. 109} - February 5, 2014

[…] am looooving braids! from here, here, and here. i am going to have a little braid or two in my hair today :) can’t wait to […]

3. Beach Babe: 7 Seaside Approved Summer Hairstyles - June 20, 2014

[…] all about this loose braid tutorial by Amber of the Barefoot Blonde blog. It’s got a super laid back, boho vibe that’ll pair well with any swimsuit you throw […]

4. Beach Babe: 7 Seaside Approved Summer Hairstyles | OpenCart Themes and OpenCart Templates by ColdThemes - July 29, 2014

[…] all about this loose braid tutorial by Amber of the Barefoot Blonde blog. It’s got a super laid back, boho vibe that’ll pair well with any swimsuit you throw on. To […]