Cucumber Sugar Scrub

Homemade Cucumber Sugar Scrub Over the past couple years I have talked about how much I LOVE and live by scrubbing my face with sugar before I put my make up on. It has kind of went from using sugar just over a wetted down face, to sugar mixed with oil, and now I religiously do this cucumber sugar scrub! It is a mild scrub that has mint, cucumber, oil, and sugar!

THE BENEFITS: the cucumber helps to soothe your skin and reduce any redness you may have. The mint helps wake me up in the mornings before I get ready and it also helps to brighten your skin! The sugar obviously will be the exfoliant and get rid of any dead skin leaving a clean and smooth surface and the oil will help to hydrate and make it nice and soft! Scroll down to see the recipe :)

Homemade cucumber sugar scrub - brightens your skin and makes it nice and smooth before you apply make up! Homemade cucumber sugar scrub - brightens your skin and makes it nice and smooth before you apply make up!THE RECIPE:

1/2 cucumber

3-4 cups sugar (this depends how much an exfoliant you want, if you need a really good and intense exfoliant, use more, but don’t use an intense exfoliant everyday as it will do more damage than good! and if your cucumber is bigger than normal you may need to use more – you want it very mild if you will be using it every day though)

1/2 tbsp. olive oil

1 small handful of chopped up mint leaves

DIRECTIONS:

1. Puree the cucumber until it is a liquid.

2. Add the sugar, (more or less than directed depending on how you like it) oil, and mint leaves

*If the sugar is dissolving, add more

3. Stir together and put in a jar or container

*keep refrigerated to keep it nice and fresh. Also the cold wakes me up in the mornings and brightens my face a little which I love :)

Hope you enjoy!! xx

Photos by Jessica Janae Photography

Tags: , , , ,

68 Responses to “Cucumber Sugar Scrub”

1. Sophie January 19, 2014 at 11:11 pm Permalink

How long does it last with the fresh cucumber? Last time I made one with fresh produce it went rancid quick!

• amber January 20, 2014 at 12:31 am Permalink

I’ve had mine in the fridge for just over four weeks now and it’s just getting to the bottom! It doesn’t smell or feel bad or spoiled to me! I use small jars and this recipe is enough to fill both, I usually freeze the other one til I am ready to use it then let it thaw! Xx

2. hayley roderick January 19, 2014 at 11:44 pm Permalink

Love this idea! Would be great to sooth sunburns in the summer too!:)

• amber January 20, 2014 at 9:19 am Permalink

Yes it would be amazing on a sunburn!!

3. Eye Like Fashion January 20, 2014 at 1:30 am Permalink

WOW, what a great idea! And your skin is FLAWLESS!!! Thanks for sharing. I’ll give it a try!

NEW POST:: HEAVY METAL

• amber January 20, 2014 at 9:18 am Permalink

Ahh no but thank you!! And totally give it a try!! :)

4. Charlie January 20, 2014 at 5:38 am Permalink

Definitely going to give this a try x

• amber January 20, 2014 at 9:18 am Permalink

Excited for you to try it! xo

5. Christina Storm January 20, 2014 at 6:17 am Permalink

Looks amazing! I’m going to have to try this asap!

• amber January 20, 2014 at 9:17 am Permalink

Definitely do you will love it!!

6. Natalie January 20, 2014 at 7:04 am Permalink

Love this idea! Can you use coconut oil instead of olive oil?

• amber January 20, 2014 at 9:17 am Permalink

I am sure you could although I haven’t ever tried coconut oil! I use coconut oil on its own all the time so I imagine it would be amazing mixed in a scrub! I just wonder since it does harden, how it would do in the fridge? Let me know if you try it out! xx

• Crozetmom January 20, 2014 at 5:10 pm Permalink

I just tried this today, substituting Coconut Oil! It’s PERFECTION! Since CO has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties it just add even more benefits to such a great idea! Thanks for the inspiration! I love it!

• amber January 20, 2014 at 5:21 pm Permalink

Oh yay I am glad to hear the coconut oil works! Does it harden when it is in the fridge or does it stay blended with the other ingredients? Thanks for sharing!! xx

7. Ashley January 20, 2014 at 7:17 am Permalink

How cool… I am definitely going to give this a try! Love making homemade beauty recipes!!!

xo Ash,

• amber January 20, 2014 at 9:16 am Permalink

I do too!!! Homemade ones are my favorite! :)

8. Marie January 20, 2014 at 7:27 am Permalink

Wow! This should be good, I’ve been searching for a recipe! Thanks for sharing, I’ll give it a try❤️ You’re the best :)

• amber January 20, 2014 at 9:15 am Permalink

Yay excited for you to try it! It is my favvvvorite!! xx

9. Mel January 20, 2014 at 7:53 am Permalink

Love this Amber! I am totally going to give this a go.. Also, I tried out your braid tutorial and it turned out amazing!!!

xo Mel
    turquoise blonde

• amber January 20, 2014 at 9:15 am Permalink

Ah you did?! Tag me in a pic if you post one on IG or Twitter or something :) I bet it looked amazing!

10. Amie January 20, 2014 at 8:12 am Permalink

fabulous! thanks for sharing!!

11. Valeriya January 20, 2014 at 8:22 am Permalink

The photos are just adorable!
    I froze mashed cucumber with a little water this summer. Used it to wake up my skin in the morning before washing. I love this idea even more though!

• amber January 20, 2014 at 9:14 am Permalink

Thanks girl!! And yeah cucumber feels so good on your skin in the morning huh?! love it :)

12. Michelle Torres January 20, 2014 at 9:18 am Permalink

Ohh this sounds Amazing girl! Thanks for sharing and I will be hooked Im sure, anything cucumber for my face is the best!

13. Kristin January 20, 2014 at 9:22 am Permalink

I have been searching for something to take the redness out of my skin. This looks pretty easy to make and I am definitely going to try it! Thanks for the idea.

• amber January 20, 2014 at 5:33 pm Permalink

Yeah definitely try it! It is super cheap to make, most of the ingredients we all have at our homes most of the time anyways so if you don’t like it, it is not much of a loss! :) but I am sure you will like it, its my favvvorite!

14. rae January 20, 2014 at 9:30 am Permalink

this is such a great idea – i am always looking for new sorts of organic cleaners and things for the skin! will def. be trying this one. i am just wondering – how long does the mask keep when refrigerated? a week?

rae at love from berlin

• amber January 20, 2014 at 5:32 pm Permalink

Thanks girl! Glad you love organic cleansers like I do :) and it lasts me over 4 weeks usually.. and by then I am usually to the bottom of my little jar and pull the next one out of the freezer and let it thaw! Maybe the cucumber is bad but to me it still feels and smells fresh so who knows! xx

15. Haley Valerie January 20, 2014 at 9:34 am Permalink

I exfoliate my skin with sugar once a week and you mentioned that you do this everyday? Do you use this recipe everyday using the three cups of sugar?

Haley Valerie
    haleyvalerie.com

• amber January 20, 2014 at 5:30 pm Permalink

Yeah I do mine once a day with the 3 cups of sugar! I kind of eyeball it each time I make this because sometimes the cucumber is bigger and makes more juice or is smaller and makes less, so I just do enough to where it is a very mild scrub! It is not good for your skin to do anything more every day! A more sugary scrub would be used maybe 3 days a week or less! xx

16. Rachel January 20, 2014 at 9:51 am Permalink

I’ve been looking for something to help reduce redness, can’t wait to try this out!

• amber January 20, 2014 at 5:29 pm Permalink

Yes definitely try it!! I love it :)

17. Jessica Fay January 20, 2014 at 9:52 am Permalink

Hey girl!!! Such a great idea!!! Do you have a clarisonic? Would u do this in place of clarisonic for that day? Oh and I tried your braid yesterday!!!! Not as perfect as yours but I got tons of compliments!!!!
    Xo
    Jess

Lipstickheelsandababy.blogspot.com

• amber January 20, 2014 at 5:29 pm Permalink

I do have a clarisonic although I have kind of stopped using it in the last six months or so, I guess I just prefer a scrub more! But yes I would definitely pick one or the other as both would be too much exfoliation for one day! And yay glad you tried it, I am sure it was amazing!! xx

18. Ashley January 20, 2014 at 11:46 am Permalink

Amber this sounds amazing! Your skin is always glowing. Can’t wait to try! Love home recipes for skincare! Take a look at the bathtub bakery on on etsy!

<3ash
    Profoundlyash.blogspot.com

• amber January 20, 2014 at 5:27 pm Permalink

Aw thanks girl! Glad you love home recipes like I do and ahh I just checked them out, cutest etsy shop!! I will have to get some things!

19. Ari January 20, 2014 at 12:28 pm Permalink

I love when you do these posts, Amber! I’ve been scrubbing my face with sugar ever since you first posted it and I SWEAR by it! I mix in a few drops of tea tree oil, and it is so refreshing! I still don’t have flawless skin, but it definitely has made my pores look smaller and my skin look more glow-y. And you’re right, foundation looks a million times better after a sugar scrub!

xoxox!

• amber January 20, 2014 at 5:26 pm Permalink

Oh yay I am glad you like it! And tea tree oil is such a good idea I will have to add that to mine sometime!! :)

20. Courtney January 20, 2014 at 3:07 pm Permalink

I bet this smells heavenly, I cannot wait to give this scrub a try!

• amber January 20, 2014 at 5:25 pm Permalink

Oh my heck yes it smells so fresh and amazing!!! :)

21. Amanda January 20, 2014 at 3:16 pm Permalink

This looks great! So excited to make it up and try it out!!!

• amber January 20, 2014 at 5:25 pm Permalink

Thanks! I am excited for you to try it!! xx

22. abigail sterling January 20, 2014 at 3:42 pm Permalink

This sounds amazing – I definitely will try it! Thanks for sharing!

x abigail, the fabulous life of a natural disaster

• amber January 20, 2014 at 5:24 pm Permalink

Thanks girl! Definitely try it out! :)

23. Monica January 20, 2014 at 7:33 pm Permalink

brown sugar + milk has been my go-to exfoliant for years, but i never thought to try cucumber or mint infused into a scrub. this is s a great idea and it sounds so refreshing!

M.

24. Cami January 20, 2014 at 8:37 pm Permalink

Is the oil safe on acne prone skin? I want to try but I’m always hesitant …

25. Monica Price January 21, 2014 at 6:31 am Permalink

Love this idea and will start trying it today! Also–LOVE your darker blonde hair color–it is so beautiful. Keep up the great work on your blog–it is great :-)

26. Stefanie // Life on the Squares January 21, 2014 at 10:00 am Permalink

so cool! I want to make one!

XO, Stefanie
    Life on the Squares

27. Adri January 21, 2014 at 11:14 am Permalink

This looks easy to make and sounds even better for my skin! I love that I know exactly what I’m putting on my face too. Can’t wait to try this!

xo Adri

28. Carrie January 21, 2014 at 5:43 pm Permalink

what a great way to use all of the cucumbers not being used for salad this week! awesome idea :)
    xxCarrie

29. Sarah Lilly January 21, 2014 at 11:52 pm Permalink

Thanks for sharing Amber! I absolutely love trying DIY recipes like this. Will definitely be trying this one soon! x

Sarah Lilly
    The Lilly Mint Blog

30. Erica Tanner January 22, 2014 at 11:46 am Permalink

Ok so weird…would you use this to exfoliant the rest of your body? To help with preventing pregnancy stretch marks on chest, hips, and belly??? Or is that just weird?

31. Danica January 23, 2014 at 10:21 am Permalink

I made this scrub the day you posted it as I am huge on exfoliation before makeup so I can get a smooth application and avoid the dreaded Cake Face lol. I use to do thenaby oil and sugar and loved it too! I just wanted to say I LOVE this scrub! A little goes a long way and I love the freshness in the am and my skin is so smooth afterwards. Thank you so much for posting this. You always have THE best tips!

32. Lindsey January 23, 2014 at 10:28 am Permalink

I am fairly new to bfb, but I am loving you! I made and used this scrub this morning and my skin feels great today. I am sure you have created an addict. I love being able to look at your outfits, buy, and wear. Thank you!

33. elaine January 24, 2014 at 12:49 pm Permalink

Thank you for the scrub! Also wanted to know what lip colour you are wearing in these pictures? So pretty!

34. WEAR EAT LOVE January 25, 2014 at 12:02 pm Permalink

I will try this! Thanks!

WEAR.EAT.LOVE.

35. Where Women Blog February 21, 2014 at 8:36 pm Permalink

Just love your tutorials! We have added this one to our site. You can see it here: http://wherewomenblog.ning.com/forum/topics/cucumber-sugar-scrub. Thanks and have a great weekend!!!

36. Mackenzie May 14, 2014 at 2:39 pm Permalink

Can you make this is a big batch so that you can use it for several days in a row? how long will it keep before it goes bad?

37. Kelly Zurita May 20, 2014 at 5:18 pm Permalink

I have a quick question..did you include the cucumber skin or peel it??

38. Lora June 20, 2014 at 3:19 pm Permalink

I love your blog and congrats on your sweet little angel. He is so beautiful! I have been looking for a great scrub and must have missed this post back in January. What type of sugar do you use? Regular refined?

Thanks!

39. Bethany Valentin July 15, 2014 at 6:30 pm Permalink

Wow!! I love this!! I’ve tried it this morning and my skin is looking brighter than before. :D

1. Friday Finds 13: DIY Scrub, Leopard Stilettos and Party Cupcakes | Mocha And Moccasins - January 31, 2014

[…] DIY cucumber sugar scrub – soothing and exfoliating! I’m trying this over the weekend. 31 vines that will make you laugh – the last one is the cutest! If you’re a fan of Bon Iver’s music, perhaps you’ll like Big Light by Houses (my new favorite song). Peasants is really good, too. What guy thinks females require two new bras a month? Funny, funny. Which sandwich are you? I’m a soggy veggie wrap… yum? The health hazards of sitting – scary stuff! […]

2. Mary and the blog. - February 18, 2014

[…] on her makeup which creates a smooth canvas and flawless application, I can’t wait to try this […]

3. These Are a Few of my Favorite Things… | Eau d'Espresso - March 3, 2014

[…] mint really waked you up and the sugar is such a great natural exfoliant. You can find the recipe here. I used 4 cups of sugar since I wanted more of an exfoliant. Amber says you shouldn’t use it […]

4. CUCUMBER SUGAR SCRUB | - September 30, 2014