Fitness Part 1

Barefoot Blonde fitness So today I am talking fitness! Quite honestly I haven’t worked out much since I have been pregnant, not as often and not nearly as hard as I was before. I believe in being active for mental health as well as physical health and love to be active in some way each day even if while I am pregnant some days it is just taking my dog on a walk and playing with him out back and making sure I park in a far parking spot haha

The #1 thing I get asked to do a post on is my work out so I will be sharing some of my favorite work outs (throughout the year!) and the ones I found most effective (these I did PRE pregnancy) but I will also share pregnancy work outs as I get further into my pregnancy.

Barefoot Blonde fitness

This work out I am sharing today may seem a bit silly because they are really simple moves but to me this is what gets me the leanest and most toned. I usually do this work out three times a week:

CARDIO 60 MIN (I usually do 30 min on the bike and 30 on row machine!)

300 LUNGES (If this seems like a lot, start out at 150 like I did and I worked my way up adding about 20 each day. I usually do 25 at a time walking around an indoor track and walk 200 yards in between and your legs are supposed to shake afterwards :) )

300 REPS OF VARIOUS AB EXERCISES (again I know this may seem outrageous if you are just starting to get working out again but just start doing 100 a day and add 15 or 20 each day you do them.) I will do 25 sit ups, 25 air bike, 25 butt ups, 30 second plank (I count as 25 sit ups) and just pick 4 different exercises and rotate between those that day and then the next day rotate a couple different ones into it.

And after that I am beat. On the two days in between I do various arm work outs and work different parts of my body with weights or I do boxing work outs but I will share those work outs another day :)

Also music is huge for me in working out, if I can’t find my headphones or something I will not go to the gym until I have them found! It is so motivating for me and sometimes just listening to a certain song can put me in the mood to go do a really good work out so as I do these work out posts I will also share my current playlist!

MY WORK OUT CURRENT PLAYLIST:

Doses and Mimosas by Cherub

Do My Thang by Miley

The Illest by Far East Movement

Do I (Where We Are) by Cherub

Dark Horse by Katy Perry

Big Poppa by The Notorious B.I.G.

Cinema by Benny Benassi (Skrillex Remix)

React by Eric Sermon

Thats all for today! Check back tomorrow to see the Chunk Side Braid Tutorial!! xo

50 Responses to “Fitness Part 1”

1. Supal {chevrons and Γ©clairs} January 16, 2014 at 6:12 am Permalink

I am so excited I found another {American} rower! The gym I visit is in a hospital and the rowing machine is in the geriatrics section. Rowing is a big deal when I was living in the UK, but in America I just look ridiculous haha. Also, the work out is legit! I need to add more squats and lunges to my mix.

• amber January 19, 2014 at 10:30 pm Permalink

Rowing really is the best work out huh?! So fun that you lived in the UK! I always tell my husband how I wish my boys could do row like they do in the east! Maybe one day :)

2. Christina Storm January 16, 2014 at 6:30 am Permalink

Thank so much for sharing! I’m a runner and I need ideas on how to mix up my workouts and add more weights and strength training! Thanks for the ideas!
    Great inspirational photos too! Pinned them!

• amber January 19, 2014 at 10:29 pm Permalink

Thanks so much girlie!! xx

3. Mel January 16, 2014 at 7:56 am Permalink

Love this Amber. I have been working out really hard over the last few weeks but needed some new exercises to do. I’m totally going to try out the rowing machine and I am always so scared to try it out.

Mel

• amber January 19, 2014 at 10:29 pm Permalink

Haha it is kind of intimidating huh?! But I love it, it works your arms at the same time so it is my go to! xx

4. Amanda Elizabeth January 16, 2014 at 8:05 am Permalink

Planks are always my go to best overall workout! Your arms look fab!

• amber January 19, 2014 at 10:27 pm Permalink

Aw thanks girl! And yes planks are a must!

5. Nina / Hermania January 16, 2014 at 9:02 am Permalink

I do a lot (“a lot”) of blogilates work outs, but usually I need to tone her versions down a little. Definitely if I haven’t worked out for a while, otherwise I end up straining myself / so sore I literally can’t move like a normal person anymore… I once tried to do the full calves challenge and it took me almost a week to walk without it hurting anymore, so sore!

• amber January 19, 2014 at 10:27 pm Permalink

Oh my heck yeah sore calves are the worst thing on theeeee planet!!! I learned that the hard way too! I haven’t heard of that blog but definitely want to check it out now! xx

6. Ash January 16, 2014 at 9:34 am Permalink

I haven’t been to the gym in a little while but I LOVED the rowing machine also. I definitely need to start back up at the gym.. Music is definitely a MUST and I won’t work out without it either.. It definitely gets you motivated..

xo Ash,

• amber January 19, 2014 at 10:26 pm Permalink

Yes the rowing machine works wonders!! And glad you are the same with music.. it is a must!

7. Eye Like Fashion January 16, 2014 at 9:51 am Permalink

I love to see workout posts as I’m so avid about fitness as well! I can’t wait for your weights post. I LOVE training with weights!

OUTFIT POST:: DREAM

• amber January 19, 2014 at 10:25 pm Permalink

Glad you liked!! And yeah I lovvve working with weights too! I have had a harder time trying to do posts that explain the work outs I do, just trying to come up with a good way to explain haha :)

8. Amie January 16, 2014 at 10:02 am Permalink

Awesome tips! & love the ponytail!

9. Jackie W. January 16, 2014 at 10:10 am Permalink

Love it! Very much looking forward to these posts!!

• amber January 19, 2014 at 10:24 pm Permalink

Thanks baby girl!!!

10. Lauren Rogers January 16, 2014 at 10:50 am Permalink

YES! I’m so excited you did a fitness post, I’m always curious what all you do for exercise, it sounds like our workouts are almost identical only you look like a goddess haha. I’m looking forward to the pregnancy workouts, so far I’ve just been doing prenatal yoga and lots of walking/elliptical and weights. I just get so dizzy when working out, it’s impossible to really go hard.
    Lauren

• amber January 19, 2014 at 10:24 pm Permalink

How do you like prenatal yoga? I have just started trying it out and don’t love it but I feel like I just need to keep doing it til I like it haha :) So fun that we are practically at the same place in our pregnancies!

11. Jessica January 16, 2014 at 11:40 am Permalink

I love this post! You should do more about this!!

• amber January 19, 2014 at 10:22 pm Permalink

Thanks Jessica! Glad you liked it, I definitely will be doing more! xx

12. Rachel Rinderknecht January 16, 2014 at 12:27 pm Permalink

Loved this post! I am 36 weeks pregnant right now so I have definitely modified my workouts (run a lot slower, lighter weights, etc.), but I am really excited to get back into my old workout routine after I have my baby girl! I definitely need to incorporate more lunges and I am excited to work my abs and overall core again :)

• amber January 19, 2014 at 10:21 pm Permalink

Oh you are?! Yay so exciting!!! Yeah definitely modified versions haha I would pass out if I did this now :) have you done any pregnancy yoga?!

13. Andrea January 16, 2014 at 1:59 pm Permalink

I have been doing yoga for about 6 months and I love it more then any other exercises.Yoga is hard, but mind relaxing.You look gorgeous!

• amber January 19, 2014 at 10:21 pm Permalink

I have tried yoga in the past and haven’t loved it but I am trying some pregnancy yoga and am trying to make myself enjoy it haha cause I hear how amazing it is! xx

14. Katie January 16, 2014 at 2:13 pm Permalink

Check out Tone It Up. Awesome work outs and you don’t need a lot of equipment or a gym.

• amber January 19, 2014 at 10:20 pm Permalink

Agreed! Simple moves are effective :)

15. Maria Lee | Mia Loves Pretty January 16, 2014 at 3:03 pm Permalink

Geepers so many lunges after 60min of cardio… I’m gonna take up this challenge! It’s getting harder to firm up the butt as I get older! Love this post, thanks for sharing…and keen to hear how your fitness routine varies through your pregnancy :) you’re already have in-built weight training now hehe. Will you find out whether the bub is a boy/girl? X

• amber January 19, 2014 at 10:17 pm Permalink

Do it!!! Honestly it is a really good work out and I really feel like it tones me up so quick!

16. Sophie January 16, 2014 at 3:59 pm Permalink

This goes against all I’ve learned studying to be a personal trainer haha Not that it’s bad but generally you don’t need to do SO many reps (do different exercises instead) or that much cardio. :)

• amber January 19, 2014 at 10:16 pm Permalink

Well like I said in the post, I am definitely not a professional it is just what I see the most results with, personally! :)

17. Tori Baldridge January 16, 2014 at 5:02 pm Permalink

I am so excited you posted this! I love hearing what works for other people and this obviously works :) food/diet next!

• amber January 19, 2014 at 10:15 pm Permalink

Thanks girl I am glad you liked it! xx

18. Ash Hansen January 16, 2014 at 5:50 pm Permalink

I always see the rowing machine and I always mean to use it. You’ve covinced me!

19. Jessica Fay January 16, 2014 at 8:03 pm Permalink

Could you get any cuter?!?! AH! :)

lipstickheelsandababy.blogspot.com

• amber January 19, 2014 at 10:15 pm Permalink

You are too sweet!! xo

20. Claire January 17, 2014 at 9:12 am Permalink

We have the same workout playlist! I saw Benny Benassi live last year and now I’m convinced he has to dj my wedding :) Im inspired to get back on the rowing machine now. Xx

• amber January 19, 2014 at 10:10 pm Permalink

No way! I love Benny Benassi!! And yay work that row machine! :)

21. Erica Tanner January 18, 2014 at 3:16 pm Permalink

I know this is so random…are you doing anything for stretch marks? Anything you have found that is good??

• amber January 19, 2014 at 9:52 pm Permalink

Oh not random at all! Um I haven’t yet.. I know I will get them since I have had them on my booty since seventh grade from growing so darn fast but I am just doing lotion after the shower for now! I will probably get a better cream as my belly gets bigger but for now not really! Do you know of anything that works?

• caseyj610 January 22, 2014 at 6:52 am Permalink

I am also prone to stretch marks (had the same hip/butt marks from teenage growth), so I was pretty diligent when I was pregnant to use a Tummy Butter at least once a day, every day. I know they say that this is 100% due to genetics, but this worked for me. Not a single stretch mark on my belly. Using the butter will also help relieve the dryness and itchiness that comes with growing/stretching skin. I do NOT miss that itchy belly! Best of luck. You’ll be a beautiful mommy!

22. Fiftytwothursdays January 20, 2014 at 10:27 am Permalink

Check out some of my favorite workout gear that will get you motivated to get to the gym! Fifteen Favorite Fitness Finds

23. Samantha January 27, 2014 at 5:14 pm Permalink

Staying active while pregnant is so important. Alongside with healthy eating, it reduces the risk of gestational diabetes. Great post. You look amazing! Congratulations on your pregancy. Motherhood is truly like no other life experience xx

24. Kim February 6, 2014 at 10:25 pm Permalink

You should talk about your post-gym hair routine when you don’t wash it. Like how you do your hair while working out so that it’s easy to rescue/style afterwards? (i.e. braid vs. ponytail, do you use dry shampoo before your workout, etc.) It’s so stupid but this seems to be my biggest deterrent for going to the gym :)

25. Lauren March 25, 2014 at 1:23 pm Permalink

I just love your blog so much! You are so down to earth and it’s super refreshing!!! Love all of your makeup and workout tips

1. My Pregnancy FAQ & Maternity Photos Barefoot Blonde by Amber Fillerup Clark - June 4, 2014

[…] in the beginning (months 1-4ish) I just did my normal work outs.Β I even continued to do ab work outs (my doctor said it was 100% fine) but then months 5-6.5 I […]